SKA Science and Engineering Committee (SSEC) (Disbanded)
The SSEC is an international steering committee, that leads the SKA project along with a jointly funded head office, the SKA Program Development Office. The SSEC comprises 25 members.
The role of the SSEC is to:
- Provide scientific and technical guidance for the SKA Program.
- Determine the membership of the Collaboration.
- Act as the primary forum for interactions and decisions on scientific and technical matters for the SKA among the signatories to the International Collaboration Agreement.
- Represent the SKA to the regional and national funding agencies.
- Advocate the SKA to the scientific and engineering communities and the general public.
- Define, appoint, and review, as necessary, such committees as the SSEC deems necessary.
- Appoint the Director of the SPDO.
- Review the annual Program Plan, including organisational plans, prepared by the SPDO.
- Review the annual budget prepared by the SPDO Director.
- Review studies and reports prepared by the SPDO.
The SSEC makes decisions on scientific and technical matters but has no financial responsibilities or authorities; financial matters fall within the remit of the Executive Committee of the SSEC. The Executive Committee is tasked, after consultation with the SSEC, to:
- Approve the job descriptions and appointments of key SPDO personnel.
- Approve the annual Program Plan, including organisational plans, prepared by the SPDO.
- Approve the annual budget prepared by the SPDO Director.
- Approve studies and reports prepared by the SPDO.
- Approve regular six-monthly SPDO status reports prepared by the SPDO Director.
The SSEC Executive Committee consists of:
Chair: Mike Garrett, ASTRON, The Netherlands
Vice-chair: Rus Taylor, Univ. of Calgary, Canada
Past-chair: Ken Kellermann, NRAO, USA
Secretary: Colin Greenwood, SPDO
Member: Phil Diamond, CSIRO, Australia
Member: Justin Jonas, Rhodes University, South Africa
Ex officio: Richard Schilizzi (Director, SPDO)
|Australia||Phil Diamond, CSIRO
Peter Quinn , University of Western Australia
|Canada||Sean Dougherty, Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory
Russ Taylor (Vice-Chair), University of Calgary
|China||Bo Peng, National Astronomical Observatories|
|Europe||Arnold van Ardenne, ASTRON, NL
Mike Garrett (Chair), ASTRON, The Netherlands
Wim van Driel, Observatoire de Paris, FR
Luigina Feretti , INAF – Istituto di Radioastronomia, IT
Michael Kramer MPIfR – Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy, DE
Steve Rawlings, Oxford University, GB
Anton Zensus, Max-Planck-Insitut fur Radioastronomie, DE
Paul Alexander, Cambridge University, GB
|India||Yashwant Gupta, National Centre for Radio Astronomy, Pune University campus|
|Japan||Ryohei Kawabe, National Astronomical Observatory of Japan|
|Republic of Korea||Jongsoo Kim, Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute|
|S. Africa||Roy Booth, Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory
Justin Jonas, Rhodes University
|USA||Geoff Bower, University of California, Berkeley
Jim Cordes, Cornell University
Trish Henning, The University of New Mexico
Dayton Jones, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratories
Ken Kellermann (Past Chair), National Radio Astronomy Observatory
Robert Preston, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratories
Yervant Terzian, Cornell University
Eric Wilcots, University of Wisconsin
Also in this section